The Feminist Action Project, a two-day conference at the University of Texas at Austin on March 30-31, 2012, is seeking performances.
This year’s theme is Relationships: building alliances and bridging movements. We hope for this theme to encompass relationships between people, generations, and movements as described in the lists below.
Our goals for the conference include: including the experiences and perspectives of both students and community members, prioritizing 101-level introductions to theories and movements, emphasizing “art as resistance,” and helping broaden the feminist community by framing its issues in relation to other activisms. We are honored to announce Sharon Bridgforth as our keynote performer; she is a theatrical jazz aesthetic artist and playwright.
Performances should be consistent with the theme and goals. We are particularly interested in proposals dealing with one or more of the following themes:
Relationships between people:
● Healthy sexuality
○ Non-mainstream romantic/sexual identities
○ Practicing feminism in close relationships
● Exploring female relationships
○ Breaking down “girl hate”
● Confronting oppressive acts/speech
○ Calling others out
○ Being a constructive ally
● Activist self-care
● Violence, bullying, and harassment
Relationships between movements:
● Confronting –isms and oppression within feminist movements
○ Tensions between women of color movements and ‘mainstream’ feminism
● Collaboration between feminist generations/waves
● Trans* and gender identity activism and the LGBT mainstream
● Disability rights activism and intersectionality
● Race and economic rights activism (like Occupy Wall Street)
● Privilege and power
● Sexual & gender identities
● Body acceptance activism
● Indigenous rights movements
Please include in your performance proposal:
• Title of the performance (poem, song, monologue, skit, etc.)
• Length of Performance (should be between 5-8 minutes)
• Brief description, no more than 300 words
• Copy of the words to the performance or link to a video of performance
• Description of AV and space requirements
• Your name and contact information (phone and e-mail preferred)
The deadline for performance proposals is February 24, 2011. Please submit all documents via email to email@example.com, with “Attn: Programming Committee” in the subject line. You can send the submission as a Microsoft Word file, .pdf, or text file. If postal mail works better for you, please send it to:
Feminist Action Project
c/o Gender and Sexuality Center
1 University Station, A4400
Austin, TX, 78712
We are very excited about this year’s conference and we look forward to hearing from you!
To bridge means loosening our borders, not closing off to others. Bridging is
the work of opening the gate to the stranger, within and without.