The Feminist Action Project, a two-day conference at the University of Texas at Austin on March 21st-22nd 2014, is seeking panel and workshop submissions.
This year’s title is “Redefining Our Place at the Table: Finding Feminism Through Authentic Conversations.” We hope for this theme to encompass community building and a thorough examination of feminist history.
Our goals for the conference are: including the experiences and perspectives of both students and community members, prioritizing 101-level introductions to theories and movements, highlighting the complexities of identity in relation to the feminist and other activist communities, and to put a special emphasis on language and space.
Submissions should be consistent with the theme and goals. We welcome academically- oriented proposals as well as practical and activist ones, but we prefer interactive models such as discussions and skill-building workshops. We are particularly interested in proposals dealing with one or more of the following themes:
Relationships between movements:
- Confronting –isms and oppression within feminist movements
- Tensions between women of color movements and ‘mainstream’ feminism
- Collaboration between feminist generations/waves
- Trans* and gender identity activism and the LGBT mainstream
- Disability rights activism and intersectionality
- Race and economic rights activism (like Occupy Wall Street)
- Negotiating Identity
- Navigating femininity in the workplace
- “Passing” in relation to gender identity
- Online Activism
- Facebook and Twitter activism
- #SolidarityIsForWhiteWomen, #FeminismIsForWhiteWomen
- Activist self-care
- Inherently patriarchal language
- Appropriative or pejorative language
- Ableism (visible and invisible disabilities)
- People-first language
- Heteronormative language
- Trigger Warnings
- Privilege and power
- Sexual & gender identities
- Body acceptance activism
- Indigenous rights movements
- Intros to feminist histories and authors, etc.
Please include in your submission:
• Title of panel, workshop, or presentation
• Brief description, no more than 300 words
• Description of AV and space requirements
• Past experiences presenting and references, if applicable
• Your name and contact information (phone and e-mail preferred)
The deadline for submissions is February 14, 2014. Please submit all documents via email to feministactionproject@gmail.
com, with “Attn: Programming Committee” in the subject line. You can send the submission as a Microsoft Word file, .pdf, or text file.
If postal mail works better for you, please send it to:
Feminist Action Project
c/o Gender and Sexuality Center
1 University Station, A4400
Austin, TX, 78712
We are very excited about this year’s conference and we look forward to hearing from you!